Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Failings only failing if you take nothing from it

I significantly benefited from my last lab experience at St. Marys, and learned somethings you can only realize through experience. Teaching gym is much more difficult than I previously anticipated. My only teaching experience is through that of my gym back home. Their I help new students learn boxing, and the basics of grappling. Teaching their is much easier due to it being much more hands on, and it's teaching a designated skill instead of providing a positive and structured game/environment for students. Also I've never really worked with children before, which is a whole new experience. At the gym, people are paying to listen and learn, whereas at St. Marys the children aren't driven by the same factors. So here I actually have to try and get their attention. Actually in a way I even have to compete with the things going on around me for their attention. My soft spoken, passive nature doesn't grasp their attention well enough. When I tried explaining the rules of the game to the children they instantly started interrupting with questions, and statements like "This game stinks". Even though I'm sure they've never played it before, they still were testing me to see what they could get away with. Then during the game the children still seemed to not really listen to instructions fully. The game functioned well, yet could have gone much smoother. For example during the game it became obvious that the goalies shouldn't be able to throw the balls because then they could simple launch the ball from goal to goal. Realizing this myself and my group told the goalies the new rule would be that they must role the ball. Though instead of telling the child I asked him "could you please start rolling the ball instead of throwing it". I realized that to them, that leaves them the option of simply saying no. Next time Around I'm going to have to be more confident and assertive when I speak. Also I'm going to have to realize this isn't like instructing someone how to perry or roll with a jab, this requires much more preparation. Also I need to remember it's a completely different environment, and make the environment suit my lesson instead of hoping it suits my game.

No comments:

Post a Comment